Wednesday, October 28, 2009

When the Roof Caved in and the Truth Came Out, I just didn't know What to do

NFBC 2009 Convention: Sparknotes-style

I had every intention of actually writing a post worth reading about this year’s Convention, but a mountain of homework and sleepiness attacked me right when I got back…and it’s still sticking around, so here go the highlights…

Waking up way too early to Jon and Kate +8
Super-last-minute packing
Super last-minute plans
Trying to avoid all communication with Z’s sister
A book about books
Subway? No thanks.
Getting some more indepth info on the drama
In-N-Out? DEFINITELY
Enter Hilton Hotel…behold the five trillion guide dogs…oh, and some people too
Only paying 20 dollars a night at a Hilton hotel…score?
“Be safe, don’t do anything stupid…” “Wash your hands!”
Those two Hispanic ladies.
Eddison the fabulous doggie, and his owner…mr. creep
Board Meeting that clearly displayed everything I believe is wrong with how the NFB works
The CIC chapter officially no longer having a president (AKA, YESSI’s future in question)
Venting about what went down
Meeting Z’s boyfriend-Eloin, or as I call him, John, Hannah Montana, or Paris Hilton
Meeting my Sophia Bush (slightly more tanned) look-alike
roommate Hi bottles and bottles of alcohol, how’d you get into my room?
Association of Blind Students selling shot glasses…win.
A hotel bar, karaoke night, a virgin margarita that I didn’t have to pay for.
“Even your dog’s looking at you like ‘What the f*ck’s wrong with you.’”

An overly-protective father
One of the worst/most embarrassing meltdowns of my life in front of my parents (And Z, sort of)
Humiliation, so much humiliation
Making plans to leave the next morning
Deciding against it because I knew how badly Z wanted to be there
Comforting talks with a semi-stranger
My fabulous roommate’s dog, Jerriloo (I was 5 seconds away from stealing her)
Wandering around
Selling “Braille legos” with Z at the exhibit hall
Z”What’d I miss?” Me”Not much, I made a sale, John over here got some girl’s number…”
Chocolate cake!
Seeing my squeally friend Hannaaaaaaah. …and her odd mom.
CABS registration, my door prize name=Megan Fox. Really Z, really?
Deriane’s speech…oh my
Hanging out in Eloin’s room, being the third wheel, not so fabulous
Whatcha sahyyyyyyy
Over and over and over
“We could fit like four more people on this bed…”
Meeting Brett (leader of Co Center for the Blind..), almost getting talked into going next year
Lapdances to “You Belong With Me”
Getting squashed
Pillow fights
Candyyy
Chocolate-covered strawberries
Did I mention Whatcha Sayyyy?
Too-expensive meals
Pitiful covers of classic songs
Pretty roommate’s voice being completely shot
Z and I waking up the next morning to find that our voices met the same doom…welcome to convention?
General Session…three.hours.+
The girl from Minissota with her amazing accent…OMG
“You’ve got a jacked-up sexy voice goin’ on.”
Sushi for lunch? I ate, I swear…never again.
Skipping out on the rest of general Session and hanging with Z, Eloin, Isabel and her J.Loo.
Calling random people
Tons of banquet glamming up
Texting Ali 049376 times for fashion advice
Trying to stay on no side during Z and E’s little squabble
Flying solo at a mostly couplish banquet
Mauer’s amazing speech (Can’t stand the guy…admire his speeches)
Questionable food.
Afterparty?
Batches and batches of cupcakes
Truth or dare…resulting in another E/Z argument
Alcohol only made things worse
Some more Whatcha Say
“Hurry up, Fluffy Friend!”
Moral support
Midnight packing
Annoying the hell outta Isabel
“What’s my lion doing under the bed!?”
Z’s scramble to try to pack before closing session
Missing awards breakfast because we cherish our sleep
Major drama going down at the closing session…courtesy of D and Z
Leaving early
Misplaced things…
Starbucksssssss
Nuts..or, insects, I’m still not quite sure.
Home, Skype, sleep.

This experience wasn’t amazing, but it was definitely one more than worth having. I was set on going home after everything that went down in the first few hours, but I couldn’t do that to my friend…and I guess I would’ve missed out on things had I not stayed myself. The political and friend-related drama was way more than I ever wanna deal with again, but it showed me how people work, and I saw new sides of people.
I like these conventions because unlike at my school, I’m not “the blind kid” there…we’re all basically viewed as equal-and if we’re not, it’s not a vision-related bias, which is a nice change. I don’t have to be embarrassed of using a cane/reading Braille in public..the NFB encourages both of those.
I like being able to vent to other people about struggles we all face, without feeling like a whiner…and if I am one…well, I was whining with about 20 others, so it’s all good. So many people’s stories are so impressive, and the completely normal lives/careers they are involved in are admirable, or, something I strive for.
This trip made me seriously waaaant a guide dog-not because they help out, or because they’re nicer-looking than a cane, but just because they’re so effing adorable. Good motivation, no?

As for life in the real world, it’s been blahh. I went in for an impromptu session of French “tutoring”, because a C isn’t near good enough for my personal standards, and I refuse to let it sit or fall lower. Music Theory would be a lot simpler if I knew Braille music…I’m making a personal goal to start teaching myself starting…today. Lunch/breaks are lonely…just a few more months.. Currently applying for colleges…crazy shiz. I really really wanna apply to some out-of-state schools. Would it really be that bad if I applied to them without telling my dad?

One more thing: I SEE KATE IN A WEEK. …actually, less than a week. NONE of you understand my excitement….Tickets for Colbie and Taylor shows are going on sale so soon. Ahhh, I wanna go so badly! I need a job.
Au Revoir

No comments: