Thursday, July 1, 2010

Don't Waste the Pretty on Pain

Hola July, where the hell did you come from?
Because seriously, like, yesterday it was December and I was in a fluffy hat and uggs that didn't come close to matching, and a few hours ago I was awaiting college letters and AI was starting and it was March, and an hour or so ago it was May and stores put out tank tops and skirts that seem to shrink in length every year, and about half an hour ago I was graduating and sun was scorching and mosquitos were out for the kill in the evenings.

...or, at least, that's how it feels. July seemed so far away...and then, BAM. June flew by in a blur of days that mixed in together all in the 'meh' department.
I'll be 18 this month--which isn't really a big deal because come on, what can you do at 18 iether than buy lottery tickets in the USA?--but still, I suppose it's something to look forward to, if only for the birthday cake...

We had a benifit concert last night for one of our choir singers who has brain cancer. It was a full house, 10 dollar donation per person+silent auction+extra donations+bake sale in the lobby, and I'm so glad that so many people came out to help out this family, despite maybe not knowing the girl personally. I used to tutor her when she was younger, and it's surreal that something like this is happening. I mean, she's doing so well right now, but something like this is so unpredictable and changes day by day, so I'm afraid to be happy right now. A neighbor recently passed away from cancer as well, and she had also been doing extremely well...one complication later, and there was nothing that could be done. I can't even process how much lives change in the blink of an eye due to diseases like this. It makes me so sad and desperate to find something, some sort of cure for them...even though I know I won't, I wish there was a way I could. I watched my grandma go from 100% to irreversable in a matter of weeks, and even though I know so many other people have been affected more deeply, and that life is not fair, I just...I don't know. Humans have so much control, and yet none at all. But I guess it all happens for a reason.
Onto a lighter topic, because it just feels wrong to be so somber when iTunes is playing "here Comes the Sun."
Umm...

I see the american Idols in 44 days. ...And I really wish I wasn't counting down for this. It's embarrassing, really, but their first show was tonight, and I've read through so many pre/post-show interviews, stalked youtube for videos, and it's hard not to be giddy.

I'm in the process of writing out some sort of opinion on the setlist for each contestant to appear on a more Idol-based tumblr post somewhere, but I haven't really gotten past writing out each person's name/song list. Hi, I'm ADD.
Didi Benami: She opened the show with something from the Rescues, which increases her cool factor by a lot. And "Terrified" isn't a surprise at all, but it's a fan favorite, so I guess it helps get them hyped up for the show...and her voice doesn't sound half bad on it iether. I do wish she'd done something acoustic, because slow songs highlight her unique voice so perfectly, but alas, the producers always want upbeat songs to kick off the night.
Andrew Garcia: ...is doing "Straight Up", who apparently everyone but me loves. Then again, I have never been a fan of his. "Sunday Morning" is equally predictable.
Katie Stevens: "Here We Go Again"....really Katie? I mean, I'm thrilled she's covering Demi, since she really needs to do something "younger", but out of all the Demi songs...she chose this? "Fighter" on the other hand, I cannot wait to hear live. Katie's no Xtina, but I'm sure she'll do it justice...
Tim Urban: His songs are...a little surprising, I guess. Not that we'll be able to hear him over the screaming tweens. Sigh. (Now, see, if Alex would have made it instead of him, I would be much more enthusiastic about it...)
Siobhan Magnus: K, first off, this girl could sing the phone book and I'd pay my 50 dollars or whatever to watch her. Secondly, her killer intro+Paint it Black+wail=perfect start to her set. I did not expect a No Doubt song, but it works. And the Muse WAS KILLER. The finishing WAILLLLLLLL on her knees (no sexual inuendo necessary) made the kids go wild. Everyone says she got the best audience response tonight. I could not be happier to be a "siobonbon".
10-6 group number: "The Climb". HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...can. not. take. seriously.
Aaron: He has a good voice. Much better than I remember it. Even so, too country and dull for me. The highlight was "Walking ih Memphis."
Michael Lynche: I watched an episode of Man Vs. Food yesterday, in which the dude consumed this 5-pound grilled cheese sandwich with 14 cheeses. Big Mike's set was cheesier than that. He has a good voice, and he's rarely off-pitch, but...it's just not my thing. It's like R&B in the bedroom and at church all at once. So strange. So AI season three.
Casey James: Can I touch his hair? Please? Or, can we trade hair? His Shania cover is probably my fave of his set...but I have yet to see actual video footage. I hope the whole holding notes that sound like a bleating sheep issue has been worked on with 19 Entertainment's vocal coaches. I'm excited for him, nonetheless.
Crystal BowErSox: BRB, dying over the fact that I'll get to hear her do "Come to My Window", "Up to the Mountain", "What's Up" among other things. I just love this woman. I just wish she'd been allowed to play one of her originals, because they. are. amazing.
Casey+Michael duet: I prayed to the AI gods that they would not do it. But they did. Sigh.
(Lack of Crystal-Lee duet: RAGE)
Lee DeWyze: I did not see "The Boxer" on his setlist. Please someone tell me they forgot to put it up. I'm just not excited for Lee.
Closing group numbers: The girls showed up the guys, or maybe I just like that Kelly song more.

...i will now copy+paste that above rant and try to make it sound more intelligent, and then apologize for posting it here. Sorry. Hah.
Anywho, I'm currently trying to decide whether I want to volunteer at the local animal shelter, or an elementary school. I babysit, so maybe animals would be a nice change.
This past week has gone opposite of how I'd hoped, which sucks, but whatever. Better luck next time. New month, new start...I suppose.
Currently obsessed with...
The new McDonald's iced coffees: Because seriously, how can you be a coffee addict and not be. So. good. So so good. And yet....so bad. But still, so good. *inner-thought process every time I go to order one*
"Just Like You"--Allison Iraheta: Perfect 'I'm so over you and this heartbreak BS you put me through' song. If you know me personally, you'll understand why it hit so close to home.
The Bachelorette *mortified look* I'm trying to think of a way to justify this...I don't even know. It was on one day, I was going through AI withdrawals, so I started watching. You know those shows that you just hate so much/are just SO bad, and make you suffer from second-hand embarrassment, yet you can't look away? Yeah. For the record, Ali was my fave on the Bachelor, so I'm glad it was her as the bachelorette instead of one of the others. (Someone make me stop watching, please.) I hate the concept, yet I can't look away. Like one of those bad Youtube covers...

I'm gonna go uh, not fangirl over Crystal's performances.
Until next-pointless ramble-time, blog.
PS: Allison I's acoustic "Don't Waste the Pretty" is pretty obess-worthy in my world too. It just came up on iTunes and I was reminded of this. I don't know why I felt like posting that.
PPS: "New Moon" was way Better than "Eclipse", and Bella and Edward annoy the hell out of me. (Not the actors, the characters. I figure any Twilight fan would've given up on reading this blog somewhere before now, and therefore won't see this and come hunt me down at midnight....)
PPPS: No, nothing is spell checked. No, I do not feel like spell checking. Yes, every spelling/grammar error will drive me insane if I ever read through this...
People change
And will you still be here after today?
Trouble is, I feel like I could win or lose it all
I don't know which way to fall.

No comments: